Recently I read an article in the Harvard Business Review written by Brian Kropp that outlined 9 trend he thinks will shape the workplace in 2021 and beyond. Obviously 2020 was a volatile year and while it would be nice to say that 2021 will be calmer waters, Brian doesn’t think so. In fact, he thinks the rate of disruption will potentially accelerate as the results of 2020 play out. Here are his 9 predictions for 2021 and beyond:
- Employers will shift from managing the employee experience to also managing their personal lives.
- More companies will have decided opinions on current societal and political debates.
- The gender-wage gap will increase.
- Monitoring employees will have new limits.
- Flexibility will shift from location to time.
- Companies will purchase COVID vaccines for their employees – and that will open Pandora’s box.
- Supporting mental health of employees will become more important.
- Renting of talent to fill in knowledge gaps will increase.
- States will begin to recruit individuals, not just employers going forward.
Brian fleshes out each of the above points in more detail and his article appears well researched but we don’t agree with each point. Listen to today’s podcast to hear our opinions.
Bob Gibbons is a Real Estate Advisor & Tenant Advocate (also known as a tenant rep) with REATA Commercial Realty, Inc. which is a tenant advisory firm based in Plano, Texas. Bob serves companies in Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Richardson, Addison, Dallas and the surrounding areas and specializes in companies which lease or buy office and warehouse properties.